Forums  ›  Things to do in Hainan  ›  Things to do in Haikou

Recommendations

Hi All,

We're working hard on the next edition of the Haikou Pocket Guide and we're looking for any new places (especially restaurants and outdoors activities) that we might not know about yet. If you know anything that you think we don't know, please let me know... know know know know (you know how if you write a word multiple times it stops looking like a word) know know know

Hello Marian, I have never seen the guide but mostly I would like to know where to buy things. Is there a good wine shop. How about cheese? I really miss cheese :(

I've read recently that China has banned all soft cheeses, something to do with bacteria. they're gone gone gone 

Mova square in Haikou ..... that place could do with a book all on its own

Hello Marian, I have never seen the guide but mostly I would like to know where to buy things. Is there a good wine shop. How about cheese? I really miss cheese :(

Places you may already know that have the Guide: Subway, the American Bakery, the International Clinic, Little India

I don't know wine well enough to make recommendations. Jimmy who owns Crowbridge makes his real money in bulk imports from Italy, I believe the wine at the restaurant also has retail prices (not sure). The cheap stuff at Carrefour is surprisingly drinkable. 

For cheese, you can to Corner Deli (京华城) or Cheers Food Services (正义路5号 and a Haidian location coming soon). I sometimes buy stuff cold packed from The Cheese Republic or La Fromager d'Pekin.

Mova square in Haikou ..... that place could do with a book all on its own

Too many things opening and closing and opening and closing and moving and opening and moving and closing ... 

Plus, the whole "I'm lost and I don't know how to leave" aesthetic is intentional to get you to spend more money once they've trapped you.

I like the forum but it really could do with a how to section. How to buy good cheese, how to buy good wines, how to buy decent bread. The problem is, I don't know where any of these places are that Marian mentioned, and my Chinese is not very good yet.

tropicalhainan.com