Buying digital games both in China and the West can be a big pain if you don't have a credit card. Most recently, I have found out that Sony and Nintendo have stopped accepting payments made with a Visa Debit (ATM) card. Sony goes a step further and actually won't accept money from a paypal account when paying with Visa Debit.
If you don't have access to a credit card, buying Digital Codes is the best way to get around it; this post will give you all the details you need (with a photo how-to) to ensure you get the games you want now.
NOTE: As I do not currently own an Xbox One, I have decided to omit it and focus on the PS4 and Switch, though the steps should be relatively the same as those for the Playstation Store.
Both of the below methods use playasia.com.
playasia accepts Alipay, Visa Debit, Paypal, Visa and Mastercard.
Buying Digital, Switch:
The easiest way to begin is to change your region on your Nintendo account to America, as American codes are the most readily available.
Changing your region is surprisingly easy; steps below:
1. Go to nintendo.com and click, "Log in/Sign up" in the upper righthand corner.
2. Sign in or sign up if you don't have an account.
3. You should be back at the homepage. Go again to the upper righthand corner and click, "Change region."
4. Select, "USA." This will take you to the homepage again. Now turn on your console and head to the Eshop; you will need to Sign in again.
5. Now that your region is changed, head over to playasia.com and either click the Digital Code button on the top and select, "Nintendo Eshop." Purchase your desired dollar amount. Once purchased, a Digital Code is provided to you instantly.
6. On your console, head to the Eshop and put in your code.
7. Presto! The funds should be added instantly and you can buy whatever game you want!
NOTE: The Eshop will ask you for your ZIP code upon changing your region. To avoid paying State tax, input a ZIP from Alaska, Montana, Delaware, New Hampshire, or Oregon.
Buying Digital, PS4:
Unlike Nintendo, Sony does not allow you to change your region. Your account is forever tethered to the region you set when opening your account. This actually doesn't matter, as playasia has Digital Codes for most countries and regions.
1. Head to playasia.com and purchase your Digital Code, which is delivered to you instantly, same as with the Switch.
2. Turn your PS4 on and head to the Store.
3. Scroll to the bottom until you see, "Redeem Codes" and input the code provided to you from playasia.
4. Get your games!
This took me a while to figure out, but gamers are resourceful people. We don't spend hours upon hours playing games and end up lacking creativity.
I hope this post has helped you solve any problems you have purchasing games in China. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below, and don't forget to subscribe to my blog for all the latest info on gaming in the Middle Kingdom!